网普管理员

网普科技人民公仆

积分 3080
发贴 2863
注册 2004-6-26
来自 网普科技
状态 离线
#1  史蒂夫·乔布斯在斯坦福大学的毕业典礼上的致辞[ZT]

这是苹果公司(Apple Inc.)和皮克斯动画工作室(Pixar Animation Studios)的首席执行官史蒂夫·乔布斯先生,于2005年6月12日在斯坦福大学的毕业典礼上的致辞的演讲稿。

我很荣幸,今天能够与在座的各位相聚在这个世界上最顶尖的大学之一的毕业典礼上。我本人没能从大学毕业。坦白讲,这次是我最“接近”大学毕业典礼的时候。今天,我想告诉你们我人生中的三个故事。没错,没什么大事,三个故事而已。

第一个故事是,聚沙成塔。

进入瑞德学院学习六个月后,我便退学了;但是在真正退出那所学院之前,我又作为一个插班生,在那里继续学习了十八个月。那么,我为何退学呢?

还是从我出生前说起吧。我的生母是一个年轻的大学生,未婚生子,因此她决定让别人收养我。她下定决心,收养的话,我也应该被大学生收养。因此,当我将要出生的时候,一个律师和他的妻子已经为我准备好一切了。但到最后一刻当我生下来的时候,他们最终决定,真正想要的是一个女孩儿。于是,我的养父母在一长串名单中被选中,在午夜接到电话,被告知:“我们这儿有个不速之客,是个小男孩,你们要收养他吗?”他们立马答应道:“当然愿意!”只是,我的生母后来发现,我的母亲大学未毕业,我的父亲甚至连高中都没毕业。于是,她拒绝在最终收养协议上签字。但她只反抗了几个月,在我的养父母承诺将来一定让我上大学后,生母终于同意签字了。

十七年后,我的确上了大学。但是我不假思索地选择了一个几乎跟斯坦福一样贵的大学,我的父母是工薪阶层,他们的积蓄全部花在我的学费上了。入学六个月以来,我看不到待在其中的价值。在那里,我不知道我人生之中要做些什么,也不知道大学的教育能不能帮助我发现我要做什么,但我挥霍着父母大半辈子的积蓄。于是我决定退学,并且相信一切都会没事的。那时候我真的很担心,但是现在回顾起来,那却是我作出的最好的决定之一。从退学的那一刻起,我可以不用再上那些我不感兴趣的必修课,而一头扎进那些看起来蛮有意思的课程。

但事情并不总是这样轻松。退学后,我没有宿舍,就睡在朋友房间的地板上;我回收可乐瓶子,以便换取五分钱的押金去买食物;我会每个周末晚上徒步七英里穿越小镇,来到Hare Krishna教堂,就为了能吃一顿像样点儿的晚餐。我喜欢那样的生活。顺着好奇心和直觉,大多数我孜孜以求的事情后来被证明是无价之宝。给你们举一个例子吧。

那时瑞德学院提供也许是全国最好的书法教育。整个校园里,大到每张海报,小到每个抽屉上的标签,上面的文字全部用优美的手写体写就。因为我已经退学了,不用上日常的课程,我决定去上书法课,学习那些优美的字体。我学习细体和灯芯体,学习在字母组合之间变换着间距,学习优美字体之所以优美的原因。书法是美丽的,古朴的,它在艺术上的精细性是科学无法捕捉到的,它使我神魂颠倒。

我从未指望这一切在我的生活能有实际的应用。但十年之后,当我们在设计第一台苹果电脑(Mac)的时候,它终于发挥作用了。我们把它全部设计到苹果电脑当中。那是第一台拥有美丽字体的电脑。要是我没能上那门在大学里独一无二的课程,苹果电脑也就不会有丰富多彩的和比例间距字体了。由于在字体上,视窗操作系统只是简单的抄袭了苹果电脑,因此几乎每一台电脑都拥有那些美丽的字体;要是我没有退学的话,我就根本不会去上这门书法课,个人电脑也许就不会像现在一样装载有那些美妙的字体了。当然,在大学的时候,我是不可能预见到“聚沙成塔”这个道理的;但是,十年之后回首来时路,它却是如此之清晰。

再强调一次,也许你不能预见到“聚沙成塔”,你只有日后回顾,才发现你已经做到。因此你必须相信,那些一粒粒的“沙子”在你将来的生活中总归会聚集起来的。只是你必须信赖一些东西,比如你的内心,命运,生命或者因缘际会,等等不一而足。依靠这种方法,我从未被打倒,它反而使我的生活变幻多姿。

我的第二个故事是关于爱与失败的。

我是幸运的,因为在我人生中,我很早便发现了我喜欢做什么。当我20岁的时候,我和沃兹在我父母的车库里创办了苹果公司。我们卖命的工作,在10 年之内,苹果已经由一个位于车库里且只有两人的小公司,成长为市值超过20亿美元,雇员超过4000人的大公司。在达成那个目标的一年之前,我们发布了最杰出的作品:苹果电脑(Mac),而此时我刚满30岁。然而,随后我被开除了。你怎么会被自己一手创建的公司开除呢?事情是这样的,当苹果公司成长壮大之际,我们聘请了一位我认为在公司治理方面很有天份的人,与我一同经营苹果公司。直至第一年左右,一切进展顺利。但是后来,我和他在关于公司的前途的观点上产生了分歧,最终我们闹翻了。当我们各执己见的时候,董事会站在了他那一边。于是,30岁的我被开除了,非常公然的被开除了。我的整个成年生活的焦点摧枯拉朽地一去不复返了。

接下来的数月,我真的不知道该怎么办。我觉得我让上一代企业家失望了,当接力棒传给我的时候,我失手了。我遇到了戴维和鲍勃(David Packard and Bob Noyce),并试图为我搞砸了一切而道歉。我是一个公然的失败者,我甚至想过逃离硅谷。但是渐渐的,某种事物开始吸引了我,那就是,我发现我仍然爱着我所做的,即使是苹果公司事件这一转折也根本未使得它有任何改变。虽然我被开除了,但我还爱着我所从事的事业。鉴于此,我决定重新开始。

自此以后,我就没有以上的那个想法了。不过,结果证明,被苹果公司开除是可能会发生在我身上的最棒的一件事。成功的累赘被再次成为一个初学者的轻松所取代,少了对一切事物的确信。它将我释放到我人生中最富有创造性的一个时期。

接下来的五年,我创办了一家名为NeXT的公司,和另一家名为皮克斯的公司,还与一位迷人的女士相爱了,她后来成了我的妻子。皮克斯公司制作出世界上第一部计算机动画电影,《玩具总动员》。它现在是世界上最成功的动画工作室。在一次不寻常的事件转折中,苹果公司并购了NeXT公司,于是我回到了苹果公司,我们在NeXT公司开发的技术占到苹果公司目前的复兴的核心地位。劳伦斯和我也拥有一个幸福美满的家庭。

我确信无疑,如果我没有被苹果公司炒掉的话,这一切都不可能发生。“良药苦口利于病”。有时生活给你迎头痛击。但不要丧失信念。我深信,唯一使我继续走下去的东西是,我喜欢我所所做的。得搞清楚,你喜欢的是什么。这对于你的工作,就像要搞清楚你的爱人一样,要确认无疑。工作将占据你人生的大部分,要真切的感到满足,唯一的途径是去做你所认为伟大的事情。而做伟大的事情的唯一途径就是得做喜欢你所做的。如果你尚未发现你喜欢做的是什么,那就继续寻找吧。别裹足不前。和所有内心的本质一样,当你发现它的时候,你就会明白的。也和任何伟大的关系一样,随着岁月的积累,它只会变得越来越好。所以,继续寻找吧,直至你发现它。可别裹足不前。

我的第三个故事是关于死亡的。

当我17岁的时候,我读到一段引述,大概是这么说的:“如果你把每一天当作生命当中的最后一天来过,将来有一天你一定会成功的。”这段话给我留下了深刻的印象,从那时起,过去的33年当中,当我每天早晨看着镜子时,我会问自己:“如果今天是生命的末日,我还会去做打算今天做的事情吗?”当每次答案都是“否”,并且一直持续了太多日子的时候,我知道我得改变点什么了。

时刻谨记即将死去,这是我所遇到的帮助我作出人生的重大抉择的最重要的方法。因为几乎所有的事物--包括所有外界的期望,所有的自尊心,所有对困难或失败的恐惧--在面对死亡的时候,都立马退散了,仅剩下真正重要的东西。时刻谨记即将死去,这是我所知道的避免陷入患得患失的困境的最好的办法。你已经一无所有了,没有理由不顺从你的内心行事。/没有理由不跟着你内心的感觉走。

大约一年前我被诊断出患有癌症。早晨7:30我做了个扫描,结果清晰的显示出我的胰脏上有一个肿瘤。在那之前,我甚至连胰脏是什么都不知道。医生们告诉我,这是一种几乎不可治愈的癌症,我只能指望再活3-6个月了/不能指望再活超过3-6个月了。医生建议我回家,安排好后事。这不过是医生告知病人等死的暗语罢了。这意味着你得努力地在几个月的时间之内告诉你的孩子你原本打算在接下来的10年中将要告诉他们的一切;意味着确保一切已得到妥善安排,使得它们对于你的家人尽可能地简单明了;意味着你跟得他们说“拜拜”了。

我一整天都在做那个诊断。那天夜里的晚些时候,我做了一次活组织检查,他们把内视镜插入我的喉咙,穿过我的胃,进入我的肠子,将针插入我的胰脏,从肿瘤中取出一些细胞。我当时打了麻醉剂,但据我在场的妻子说,当医生们观察过显微镜下面的细胞后,他们叫喊了起来,因为我的病情的结果弄清楚了,原来是一种非常罕见形式的胰腺癌,而且它是可以通过外科手术治愈的!我做了那个手术,现在我康复了。

这是我面临死神最贴近的一次,我也希望它是我接下来数十年中所要遇到的最贴近的一次。经历过这件事以后,现在我能将他们更有把握的告诉你们,而不是仅仅说它是有用的却又仅仅停留在一个纯粹的知识性概念的层面。

没人愿意死去。即使有人想去天堂,他们也不想死着过去。然而迄今为止,死亡仍然是我们共同的终点站。没有人曾幸免。它本来就是死亡的应有之义,因为死亡很有可能是生命唯一的绝佳创举。它是生命转换的代理人。它淘汰旧人以便给新人让路。或许刚刚的新人就是你,但就从现在起不久的某一天/不久的将来,你会渐渐的成为老人,然后被淘汰。不好意思,我将它描述的如此富戏剧性,但它却是十足的真实。

你的时间是有限的,因此不要浪费它,去以别人的方式过生活。不要陷入教条的框框,那是以别人思考的结果的方式生活。别让他人意见的噪音淹没你的心声。最重要的是,鼓起勇气顺从你的内心,跟着直觉走。它们好歹对你想成为什么已经有所知晓。其他的一切都是次要的。

当我年轻的时候,流行着一本惊奇的刊物,名叫《全球一览》(The Whole Earth Catalog),它被奉为我那个时代的“圣经”之一。它由住在离这里不远的门罗公园(Menlo Park)的斯图尔特·布兰德(Stewart Brand)创办。他以诗一般的笔触使它问世。这是20世纪60年代晚期的事情了,那时个人电脑和桌面印刷机还未出现,因此,它全靠打字机、剪刀以及人造偏光板照相机来制作。它就像某种程度上平装书形式的谷歌(Google),但在谷歌出现的35年之前便已出现;它既富于理想主义,又充溢着灵巧的工具和伟大的发明。

斯图尔特和他的团队发行了几期《全球一览》,在常规发展进程完毕后,他们发行了最终刊号。那是在20世纪70年代中期,我像你们这么大的时候。最终刊号的封底是一张晨间的乡村小路的照片。如果你们具备冒险精神的话,或许会发现自己正在那乡间小路上嬉戏游玩。照片的下面有一行字,写着“求知若渴,大智若愚。”这是他们的告别辞,与此同时,他们停止了活动。求知若渴,大智若愚。我也是一贯这样期许自己的。现在,你们毕业,开创另一个新时期的同时,我也对你们提出同样的期许:

求知若渴,大智若愚。

非常谢谢你们。我的演讲完毕。

天理路上甚宽,稍游心,胸中便觉广大宏朗;
人欲路上甚窄,才寄迹,眼前俱是荆棘泥涂。

网普科技,优质美国主机服务!
美国Linux主机,美国虚拟主机
支持PHP+MYSQL+cPanel+EMAIL
为用户负责,拒绝反动、赌博及色情内容! QQ:126818

发送QQ消息
2007-11-13 01:50 PM
查看资料  访问主页  发短消息  QQ   编辑帖子  引用回复 顶部
网普科技
网普管理员

网普科技人民公仆

积分 3080
发贴 2863
注册 2004-6-26
来自 网普科技
状态 离线
#2  'You've got to find what you love,' Jobs says

This is the text of the Commencement address by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, delivered on June 12, 2005.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That's it. No big deal. Just three stories.

The first story is about connecting the dots.

I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit. So why did I drop out?

It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking: "We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?" They said: "Of course." My biological mother later found out that my mother had never graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would someday go to college.

And 17 years later I did go to college. But I naively chose a college that was almost as expensive as Stanford, and all of my working-class parents' savings were being spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn't see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The minute I dropped out I could stop taking the required classes that didn't interest me, and begin dropping in on the ones that looked interesting.

It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor in friends' rooms, I returned coke bottles for the 5¢ deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple. I loved it. And much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on. Let me give you one example:

Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy instruction in the country. Throughout the campus every poster, every label on every drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed. Because I had dropped out and didn't have to take the normal classes, I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do this. I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle in a way that science can't capture, and I found it fascinating.

None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life. But ten years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, its likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.

Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.

My second story is about love and loss.

I was lucky — I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees. We had just released our finest creation — the Macintosh — a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired. How can you get fired from a company you started? Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went well. But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him. So at 30 I was out. And very publicly out. What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was devastating.

I really didn't know what to do for a few months. I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down - that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me. I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for screwing up so badly. I was a very public failure, and I even thought about running away from the valley. But something slowly began to dawn on me — I still loved what I did. The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit. I had been rejected, but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over.

I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

During the next five years, I started a company named NeXT, another company named Pixar, and fell in love with an amazing woman who would become my wife. Pixar went on to create the worlds first computer animated feature film, Toy Story, and is now the most successful animation studio in the world. In a remarkable turn of events, Apple bought NeXT, I returned to Apple, and the technology we developed at NeXT is at the heart of Apple's current renaissance. And Laurene and I have a wonderful family together.

I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

My third story is about death.

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope its the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960's, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions.

Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and then when it had run its course, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Thank you all very much.

天理路上甚宽,稍游心,胸中便觉广大宏朗;
人欲路上甚窄,才寄迹,眼前俱是荆棘泥涂。

网普科技,优质美国主机服务!
美国Linux主机,美国虚拟主机
支持PHP+MYSQL+cPanel+EMAIL
为用户负责,拒绝反动、赌博及色情内容! QQ:126818

发送QQ消息
2007-11-13 01:58 PM
查看资料  访问主页  发短消息  QQ   编辑帖子  引用回复 顶部
茱莉娅